Friday, April 22, 2011

Have a Very Good Friday

I'm looking a a miniature rose plant that my sister and brother-in-law sent for Good Friday.  Well, actually for Easter, but it came today.  Which is a good thing, because Good Friday is sort of the culmination of all the lessons one learns during the disciplines of Lent.

I didn't give up blogging for Lent, nor chocolate, nor creating art; I gave up self-loathing.

At first it was kind of a joke; the perfect quip for cocktail parties, Dahling.
  Then it turned out to be HARD.
No internal trash talk. Taking the time for rest. Making the effort to shine.
As a result, a lot of my more visible, "virtuous" things didn't happen. (like this blog)

  I started using the word "REPENT" in a literal translation we were taught as kids:  (old French) Re-Penser:
" Re-Think These Crazy Assumptions!"

And the big concept is....Grace.  That whole unearned, unexpected empowerment God gives us to do the job that we didn't know we wanted to do.   It's been an entertaining journey on accepting how God created me, and actually starting to live like "I get it".

Huzzah for New Growth!  Happy Easter, and here's wishing you a  New Year of  Life and Creation!
Hosanna in the Highest, "Praise Him o ye Jigs and Juleps", and YAY JESUS!!!
The end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration to give up self-loathing for Lent. I have a friend who puts an elastic band around his wrist and whenever he has unkind thoughts about himself or others he snaps it! That reminds him that we are all made in the image of God and that loving yourself as your neighbor means that you do have to love yourself first before you can love your neighbor. Besides he thinks well of himself more often as snapping that thing hurts! Good for you!