Monday, August 13, 2012

The Right Earrings for a Meteor Shower.

Stumbling around at 4:30 this morning, I grabbed everything I'd need for a hasty Meteor shower date:  Jeans, flip-flips, coffee, wallet, etc. It cost me me almost a minute of fumbling before I realized I had no appropriate earrings.


 Pearly whites are best for reflecting ambient light in a meteor shower.  Unfortunately I didn't have any that were inconspicuous enough to get me through the following sunrise of grabbing coffee and gas on my way home.

    It took a full 15 minutes of driving (without appropriate earrings) to realize I was NOT going to get lucky.  Of course I saw the Moon, Venus and Jupiter, and 2 other stars as well. But that's all I saw

We've had 2 dust storms in the last 3 days, without much wind. That type of storm creates a lingering, almost invisible brownish haze.  I wasn't going to see shooting stars, because I couldn't see many stars at all!

The effort wasn't lost, however. There was so much particulate matter in the sky, it made an amazing Sunrise!



No comments: